Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pot Pies



Pot Pies by Elisa

Pie Crust (this recipe is healthier than those with butter or shortening)
One crust:
1.25 c. flour
1/8 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 c. milk (any kind)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
Mix all ingredients.

Filling:
2 T. butter
chopped onion or shallots to taste
1/4 c. flour
1.5 c. chicken stock/broth
1/2 c. white cooking wine
1/2 c. half and half (I used fat free milk cause that's all I had)
1 T. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (I didn't use this cause I didn't have any)
chopped cooked chicken, potatoes, carrots, corn or peas to taste

Melt butter over medium heat in frying pan. Saute onion or shallots until softened and transparent. Add flour and stir well. Whisk in stock, wine, half and half, and parsley and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer ten minutes to cook the alcohol out and to let it thicken. Add chicken and desired veggies.

Pie(s):
Make a double batch of pie crust dough and roll half of it out to fit either one large pie tin or two or three smaller pot pie tins (you can buy them at the store). You might have dough left over, depending on how thick you like your crust or how many pot pies you make. Put desired amount of filling in dough lined tin(s), then roll out the rest of the dough to cover. Cut three slits in the top of each pie and crimp edges with fork. If desired, brush with egg wash (1 egg yolk beaten with 1 t. water - I didn't do this cause I'm lazy). Bake on cookie sheet for about 30 minutes at 400 until crust is golden brown, or a little less if making the smaller pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment